Monday, July 9, 2007

My Antique Roses

First a little introduction on how I got into antique roses.

Several years ago I got the idea that I would start a plant nursery, much as my younger brother and I helped our father start his when we were in high school. After much discussion and thought with my older brother (whose land we would grow the plants on), it was decided we would start out growing what would grow best in Florida...palm trees!

After sourcing some seeds online and free from various donor palms around town we got started. However, waiting for these to germinate and grow could take some time. Since I frequented some of the gardening forums and was always surfing the internet I decided it was time to find some other plants that may produce a sell able product much faster.

Enter the world of antique garden roses. There was a lady kind enough to send me numerous cuttings of about 8 varieties. Not knowing much on rooting roses, I searched for info online and decided to create a makeshift greenhouse to root my cuttings in. Of the over three dozen, probably a handful rooted and survived. Either way I was happy since I successfully created some new plants! To be continued in my next post...

No comments: