Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Antique Garden Roses

Continuing from my previous post, I was successful in propagating a few roses, seven total in 5 varieties. The varieties are Cecile brunner cl, Old Blush, Prosperity, Loius Phillipe, and Hi. Teo I planted at my mother's house and the others I planted at my house in NE Florida.

Much to my surprise all but one of the plants has performed marvelously with very little care. Through the heat, humidity, sandy soil, and virtually no fertilizer they have continued to produce blooms for the last several years. Also, unlike most modern hybrid roses, these antique garden roses are pretty much pest and disease free, suffering no Black Spot issues what so ever, which is the most common and hated problem with most modern roses!

So if you are a rose lover but sick of fighting disease then I suggest you look to the past and plant some old garden roses in your landscape. The majority of these roses propagate readily from cuttings, and with the right system you can produce many plants for for free. Rose propagation is my current obsession and I'll be making more posts on the topic in the near future. I will also be posting pictures for you to enjoy of my antique garden roses growing in my backyard.

No comments: